"there are still some sane people in the world" Utah Favorite Tip by richiecdisc

Utah Favorites: 106 reviews and 116 photos

how many Delicate Arch photos do you really need?
by richiecdisc

Favorite thing: It's funny how a day can make all the difference. Just twenty-four hours earlier I scrambled around madly trying to get the perfect photo of The Delicate Arch. I wasn't the only one doing it. There were another hundred odd people there waiting for sunset. Some where just as hung up if not more so about getting the “perfect picture.” Some might have been ignoring their friends, wives, or even kids in this all consuming passion. Of course, not everyone. There are still some sane people in the world. The rest of us, well, we can't help our mono-vision.

Fondest memory: If I wasn't married to the greatest girl on the planet none of this would make much difference. She had been camping all over the southwestern US with me for weeks, often forgoing showers for more days than is acceptable by even me. She'd done this hike in our “uniform” as she'd become fond of referring to our desert whites despite it not being really necessary late in the day and for such a short walk. She sat there alone, not complaining, despite most other people being far cleaner and fashionably dressed. I was off taking photos, oblivious to what anyone was wearing, including myself. I had been wearing the same thing for weeks and often went days without seeing a mirror. To be honest, none of these trivial things would have mattered if I'd just been by her side for more than a fleeting moment here and there. Even after half of the arch was covered in shade I shot the top of the arch as it glowed a frame around a distant snowy peak.

Now, things were entirely different. Not only was I at her side like a good attentive husband, we were freshly clean and at least she was dressed a lot more nicely. She looked amazing but she looked great the day before too to me. I had taken some photos earlier but just a few. This time I knew when to stop. You know when the color peaks, you can see it. And I stopped and enjoyed a special moment watching The Delicate Arch with my wife. Don't you know it, the best shot I got from both night's shooting was from the second night. The best wife? She was with me both nights and I was finally smart enough to be with her too.

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Updated Jul 17, 2009

More Favorites in Utah (1)

Comments

richiecdisc Visits Here Frequently!

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Have you been to Utah?