"Corpus Christi Procession" Krakow Local Custom Tip by Pawtuxet

Krakow Local Customs: 265 reviews and 324 photos

starting them young
    by Pawtuxet
      nuns kneeling in prayer on cobblestones
  • Corpus Christi Procession - Krakow

Throughout Poland, whether in a remote village or a major city, the religious holiday of Corpus Christi is celebrated. It is scheduled on the actual day, as opposed to the US, where we often move holidays to a Monday regardless of the date in order to give 3 day weekends. In 2009 Corpus Christi was celebrated on Thursday June 11 and we made certain we were in Krakow's beautiful square to observe the traditional procession. The day begins with a Mass at the Cathedral at Wawel Castle, which could last 2 hours with all those who come for communion. After the mass the procession begins to move throughout the square stopping at 8 different junctures for prayers, readings, and music. Children dress in traditional costumes and throw flower petals along the way in front of the sacred statues and chalice with the celebrated hosts. (communion wafers-body of Christ) There are monks, nuns, priests, and legions of others from near and far who take part in the procession. They complete the procession at a temporary outdoor alter in front of St. Mary's church at the north east corner of the square. Thousands of people crowd the square to observe, pray, or photograph the spectacle... which is a very serious observance for the Poles. I wished I could have been in two places at once so that I could have also seen the procession which took place in grandfather's little village of Kolbuszowa, but I'm very glad I was able to see the beauty and elegance of the people here in Krakow on that wonderful sunny day. Gosia tells me it usually rains on that holiday, but the rain didn't come until later in the afternoon, so everyone was happily sunburned.
Hopefully you will be as fortunate to be able to observe one of these magnificent processions one day.
I have so many photos of the procession that I will do at least one Travelogue of photos...which I hope you will review and enjoy.

• Written Jul 9, 2009

Comments

Pawtuxet

“The World As A Family ~”

Have you been to Krakow?