The Similans: "Great Thai Food!" Cambridge Restaurant Tip by mikey_e

Cambridge Restaurants: 100 reviews and 69 photos

The Similans at night
by mikey_e

I have to admit that the reason I came to the Similans was because I didn't get into Herat*, the Afghan restaurant a few doors down that is extremely popular. It's not that this restaurant didn't look inviting or that the food was expensive or mundane, but it's just that Thai restaurants are a ubiquitous in North America and I wanted to really have the opportunity to try something new. In any case, I was very pleasantly surprised by the Similans. The restaurant is popular with the University crowd, but as a "fine dining" type of establishment, not as a student diner. The food is reasonably priced, all the more so given that you are likely to black out from over consumption if you order an appetizer and a main course. The portions, as in many American restaurants, are large, but the quality of the meat and vegetables does not suffer, and the sauces are far from store-bought. The wait staff, while quick and efficient, are still friendly and helpful, having found the right moment between when you've just finished your meal and when you start to want your next course or the bill, to come to your table.

Favorite Dish: I had the hot and sour soup as an appetizer and basil chicken as a main. Given that I frequently get this combination at other Thai restaurants, I can confidently claim that this was one of the best Thai meals I've ever had. The food was delicious and hot, and best of all the chicken was entirely white meat with no skin or grisle.

Address: 145 First Street, Cambridge
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Very close to Cambridge Galleria; walk up the driveway past Best Buy and continue on for another block. You'll see the restaurant on your left.
Phone: 617.491.6999
Price: US$21-30
Rating: 4
Theme: Pan-Asian and Pacific Rim

• Updated Jul 1, 2009

“Soy una llamita, quisiera ser hoguera”

Have you been to Cambridge?