"A Capitol Reef Pie Companion" Top 5 Page for this destination Capitol Reef National Park Favorite Tip by richiecdisc

Capitol Reef National Park Favorites: 19 reviews and 20 photos

my Pie Companion D
by richiecdisc

Fondest memory: It was Memorial Day weekend and we'd planned to spend it in Utah's least popular National Park to avoid the crowds. While the campground was full, it never seemed noisy. For four days, we hiked incessantly. The trails were not too long and we found it was best to start hiking later in the day so as to catch the colorful rock formations in their best light. It was quite odd for me, a natural early riser but we found ways to enjoy the mornings and the tranquil pastoral quality of the park. Of course, the hikes often gave us new perspectives of The Castle.

With Memorial Day behind us we figured it was safe to move onto another park. It would have been easy to leave that morning but our next destination was only 90 minutes away and we'd still not tried the Gifford House homemade pies made with local fruits. With the cute little store serving the pies not open in the morning and one short hike we'd not done awaiting, we drove over to the trail head. To be honest, we were hiked out and the walk in question didn't sound all that interesting, but it would be a good work out and help us build up our appetite for that pie.

We soon found ourselves on top and made our way towards the descent on the opposite side of the bluff when not only did the sun break out but lo and behold, The Castle reared its lovely head. Much as the park doesn't promote this obvious golden egg, the hike description never mentioned views of it either. My wife smiled as if I had it planned all along but I tried in vain to tell her it wasn't so. We continued on up a side canyon but soon turned back. Views of The Castle had waned and it was time to get back to the pie shop. Shortly after, I sat with my wife and we enjoyed a well deserved fresh baked fruit pie. Even if I was having an affair with The Castle, I knew I was a married man and my companion for that pie was her.

• Updated Jul 1, 2009

More Favorites in Capitol Reef National Park (1)

Comments

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Have you been to Capitol Reef National Park?