"Waterloo Street Temples" Sri Krishnan Temple Tip by jlfloyd

Sri Krishnan Temple, Singapore: 2 reviews and 1 photos

On Waterloo street in between Middle Rd and Rocher Rd is a small pedestrian area. There are street vendors and shops which seem to have a little more flavor and culture than some of the other areas around. There are also two temple side by side. One is the Sri Krishnan Temple and the other is the Kwan Im Temple. I didnt go inside the Sri Krishnan one because it didnt look too open. There were people outside praying, or what seemed like praying, but it wasnt open to the street. You may be able to go inside, I just didnt check. It is interested to look at from the ouside though. The other Temple was bursting with worshippers. They were inside and out and it was very open. You could see the inside from the street area. I was taking pictures of the outside and guard waved me over and said I could go inside and walk around, just no pictures. I did go inside and it was very interesting, like nothing I had ever seen before. There was a place to give donations so I gave a few bucks, but it looked like people were giving fruits and nuts too, I am not sure what that was about. There were stalls outside where people were buying sticks of inscence and flowers. They then entered the temple, holding them over their heads, against their foreheads. There was a large carpet in the middle where people removed their shoes to pray, on their knees, with heads down to the floor, similar in a way to the muslim prayer ritual. Some people had a canister filled with what looked like chopstick, which they got from a counter in the temple, and shock them while they prayed. It was very interesting inside. I really know nothing about the culture here, so these are just observations from an outsiders point of view, I am sorry if I butchered things or trivialized them. This is something worth seeing though.

Address: Waterloo Street in between Middle and Rocher Rds
Directions: Downtown on Waterloo Street
Phone: 6563377957
Website: http://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/infopedia/articles/SIP_276_2004-12-24.html

• Written Jun 28, 2009

More Things to Do in Singapore (1)

Comments

Have you been to Singapore?