""Oldest such museum in the First in Flight state"?" Hendersonville Things to Do Tip by etfromnc

Hendersonville Things to Do: 7 reviews and 6 photos

The Western North Carolina Air Museum (WNC Air Museum) claims to have been organized in 1989 but also to be the oldest aviation museum in North Carolina. I do not know how they define organization but there is a collection of vintage aircraft and a museum at the Charlotte airport which has been there for at least 30 years. I must do some research.
Anyway, I drive through Hendersonville relatively frequently and have even been to the airport but did not know until this week that the WNC Air Museum even existed and I was astonished to learn about their aircraft collection and a seemingly wonderful event which I have just missed this year but will put on my agenda for the first weekend next June.
They only own 14 aircraft but six of them are of 1930s vintage and two are even older. Charlotte cannot match that.
During the first weekend of June they have a free Air Fair where the normal museum are joined by other aircraft and put on display for all comers. You can climb into and over most of them and you can even get rides in some of them for about $30 per ride. The biggest reason that I am disappointed to have missed this year's Air Fare is that they had a very rare ornithopter on display. Although these contraptions never really flew, I am almost certain that any aviation buff has seen them on TV. Those who are experts on word origins may have recognized that this plane had something to do with birds "orni-." They were designed to fly like birds by flapping their wings. I hope that it is back next year.

Address: Brooklyn Avenue at the Hendersonville Airport
Directions: Take I-26, Exit 53. Go West on Upward Road. Turn Right on US-176 (Spartanburg Highway). Turn Right on Shepherd Street. Go 2 blocks to Brooklyn Avenue. Turn Left on Brooklyn. The Museum is 3 blocks up, on the Right, adjacent to the Hendersonville Airport.
Phone: 828.698.2482
Website: http://www.wncairmuseum.com

• Written Jun 26, 2009

Comments

etfromnc

“Too blessed to be stressed”

Have you been to Hendersonville?