Vinothek Bingen am Rhein: "Excellent wine bar, Bingen Rhein promenade" Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Restaurant Tip by Trekki

Land Rheinland-Pfalz Restaurants: 45 reviews and 102 photos

Vinothek am Rhein, from the outside

Vinothek am Rhein, from the outside
    by Trekki
      Vinothek am Rhein and their art work
      Vinothek am Rhein, my Worschtsalat
    by Trekki
      Vinothek am Rhein, "Strammer Max"
    by Trekki

This wine bar was an excellent recent find in Bingen when I accompanied friends from Australia through Rhein valley. After our boat tour we came back to Bingen where our car was parked and they were hungry. I passed by this wine bar quite often before because this is the only toilet option when you wait to get on the KD boat. But I always had this (ridiculous) prejudice that most of the restaurants along popular tourist spots might be more of an expensive trap without authencity. And only thanks to the hunger of my friends I found out how stupid this thought was!!
The wine bar has an excellent location with prime view to Rhein river and across to Rüdesheim and the vineyards. They offer only snacks but these are very much excellent and very reasonable! Their starters are either soup of the season (4,50 €) or the famous Handkäs’ mit Musik [translates into cheese with music, it is sour milk cheese marinated in vinegar and onions, thus the “music”, the sounds of… oh well, you might get the idea] (4,50 €) or ham with rucola salad and balsamico dressing (6 €). We didn’t select starters but looked at their main dishes, which are snacks, but on my photos you see that they were quite huge in size. They only have three of them, which is Spundekäs, a ricotta type of preparation (actually not real cheese) and very typical to the region for 4,80 € together with a big pretzel, then a Strammer Max, which is another somehow typical German dish with dark bread, ham and a fried egg (7,50 €, photo 4). This was what my friends chose while I opted for the Worschtsalat (or Wurstsalat in proper German, sausage salad, 7,50 €, photo 3). We were all very much satisfied with our choices and the quality of the dishes. They were light, not heavy and definitely freshly made. The typical sign for this was also that they didn’t have much choices on the menu, but make everything fresh on the spot. But because this wine pub is belonging to a winery, Kastell to be precise, they offer a big selection of wine from six other wineries of the region around Bingen: 11 white wines and 8 red wines. We all chose their 2008 Riesling (white wine, for which the region is famous) and I was amazed how excellent it tasted. I am not drinking anything when I drive but this time one of my friends was driving, so I could try wine and it made me want to come back to the region but stay overnight then to be able to sample more of their varieties.

I am placing this restaurant here on my Rheinland-Pfalz page, simply because it is close by to a very popular tourist destination, KD’s boat pier in Bingen, where the tours into Rhein Valley start. And just in case that you also try and avoid restaurants close to touristy places, be aware that this one is serving simply delicious dishes and does not fall into the category of “better not”.

Location of Vinothek Bingen on Google Maps

© Ingrid D., June 2009 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.), last update March 2011: link to Google Maps added, website exchanged.

Address: Hindenburganlage, 55411 Bingen am Rhein
Comparison: about average
Directions: Very easy to find: from KD's pier in Bingen, walk east (to your right) and look for the wine pub You cannot miss it, the art statues are guiding you.
Phone: +49 - 6721 - 99 12 03
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 5
Theme: Local
Website: http://www.vinothek-bingen.de/

• Updated Aug 5, 2013

Comments

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Have you been to Land Rheinland-Pfalz?