The Athenian: "Authentic Greek!" Montana Restaurant Tip by cpiers47

Montana Restaurants: 21 reviews and 16 photos

Okay, I've posted this as a Montana tip because I don't have enough to warrant a Billings page - despite having been there quite a few times. Author Christopher Moore makes a perfect comment about Billings in his book "Coyote Blue" but I wouldn't want to offend anyone who lives there! :)

In the spring of 2009, I took a group of students to Italy and Greece. In Athens, we met a very friendly shop owner who adopted our whole group - making sure that we traveled safely and ate well while we were in the city. He'd been to Montana - a complete surprise! - and was thrilled to share stories about his travels. One of his friends owns a restaurant in my students practically demanded a visit there once we'd returned to the US. In a very Montana moment, 12 of us drove the 2.5 hours to Billings simply for dinner!

The Athenian recently remodeled and has beautiful pictures of Greek landmarks on the walls. The dining room is spacious enough, but quickly filled, even on a Monday night.

Favorite Dish: My gyros platter was great. We also enjoyed the sampler appetizer platter with stuffed grape leaves, olives, feta, etc. A couple of the guys went for the meal samplers and loved them. The desserts were great - all homemade.

The gyros meet is beef or chicken. Lamb seems to be hard to get - or get in the right form? - in Montana. I must also mention the service. The owner was wonderful and kind, enjoying my students' enthusiasm for the evening. We felt very welcome, despite being a large group with mostly young people.

At the end of the night, with a bit of a drive ahead of me, I took home a Greek coffee. It was wonderful!

Address: 18 North 29th Street
Price Comparison: about average
Phone: 406-248-5681
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 5
Theme: Eclectic/International

• Written Jun 23, 2009

cpiers47 Used To Live Here!

Have you been to Montana?