"Schwarzsee PARADISE? Give me a break!" Zermatt Tourist Trap Tip by travelfrosch

Zermatt Tourist Traps: 8 reviews and 8 photos

Pretty mountain, ugly construction zone
by travelfrosch

Many years ago, one of my favorite hiking destinations in Zermatt was the Schwarzsee. Ideally located near the Matterhorn, it allowed you to get "up close and personal" with the mountain. Nowadays, there's a gondola system called the "Matterhorn Express," which can whisk you to this area, now coined "Schwarzsee Paradise," in minutes for the "bargain" price of CHF 47. And what do you see when you get up there? A CONSTRUCTION ZONE! The entire area is dug up. You have to tiptoe through a marked path just to get over to the restaurant. Some paradise.

Unique Suggestions: Well, the Matterhorn is still pretty, even if the foreground isn't. Try to work your way to the lake edge (if the trail isn't dug up, that is). Also, the restaurant has some decent food at not outrageous prices.

Fun Alternatives: Hike around Riffelalp or Riffelberg and get a nice Matterhorn view without the bulldozers.

• Written Jun 21, 2009

• zuzibe's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Hi,I was in Zermatt in September 2009 and took a trip to Schwarzsee. We were going there by foot and this was really nice trip.We didn´t see many tourists going up, but except of this, cable car full of people was going above us up and down all the time.And as you write, I was wondered that on the top was not only a huge modern restaurant, but also an excavator (you can see a photo in the link which I enclosed).And this was really strange and so dissapointing in such beautiful mountains.
    my.opera.com/zuzibe/albums/s...

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo
      Oct 31, 2012 at 4:30 PM

I assume someday the construction will be done, but it was really disappointing to see one of my favorite places in the Alps turned into little more than a construction zone. Thanks for the comment!

travelfrosch

“"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin”

Have you been to Zermatt?