"Les Artistes" Butte de Montmartre Tip by garridogal

Sacre-Coeur and some of the masses

Sacre-Coeur and some of the masses
      The view from up there
    by garridogal
      Picture this without the tourists 'n souvenirs
      Is this cute or what?
    by garridogal
      One of the windmills still found here
    by garridogal

For me Montmartre is all about the artist community, the quaint architecture found here and the history that comes with all its famous residents.

On a hot 'n humid afternoon we headed over to the area. After passing a couple of ladies of the evening, we found the street where Vincent VanGogh lived with his brother Theo and where the original Chat Noit once was.

Then we made our way to the funicular to Sacre Coeur. If it hadn't been so hot I think I would've made a case to take the stairs, citing the avoidance of yet another tourist packed wait. However, the weather being what it was, we took our place in the queue and rode up.

I didn't go into the church. After having lived in Spain and travelling in Europe for years, I've frankly seen enough church interiors. I'm more interested in their architecture. And as you can see, Sacre Coeur has an almost Middle Eastern appearance with it's round white towers.

Immediately surrounding the church there is a quaint yet tourist/souvenir shop packed area. The congestion ebbs within a few blocks and it becomes more residential. You will see artists drawing and soliciting you to sit and pose for them. It's truly an adorable area which you'll want to explore in detail.

Address: Montmatre
Directions: Take the #12 Metro to Abbesses. There are a few other stops in this area, but this is your best bet. It's a short walk from the funicular and the steps if you choose to take those instead.
Phone: 33664472932
Website: http://www.sacre-coeur-montmartre.com/

• Updated Jun 21, 2009

Comments

garridogal

“Tourists don't know where they've been. Travelers don't know where they're going. - Paul Theroux”

Have you been to Paris?