"Do's and Don'ts" Rio de Janeiro Warnings Or Dangers Tip by nessa23

Rio de Janeiro Warnings and Dangers: 222 reviews and 107 photos

Hi,
Security in Rio is not that good but still better than it was a few years back.
All I say is, don't trust the Police, prostitutes, any street kid(no matter how innocent they look or act)if any street kid approach you be careful with your pockets because as they are talking to you their scum light hands are going through your pockets, if anyone offers you any drugs do NOT even talk to them as usually they're working with the police to catch you than take a lot of money from you(It happened to someone I used to know)Don't walk around with too much money and if you have a card always keep it hidden away from your cash that way if you do get robbed they won't take your card. If you stay some where like Copacabana or Ipanema which is very tourist orientated be careful who you befreind as most times people will hang out with you and expect you to pay for all their drinks(man or woman)the one thing about Brazilian people that I really don't like is that they see you as a walking wallet.
I know it sounds really bad, but dispite all these problems Rio still worth visiting and the likely hood that some thing will happen to you is very small as long as you take care. I've been to Rio 7 times and have friends that have been there too, I was robbed once and it hasn't put me off(maybe is because all they took was my lip stick!)my bank card was hidden away!

• Updated Jun 16, 2009

Comments

nessa23

“Why do tomorrow what can be done today???”

Ranked Member

Have you been to Rio de Janeiro?