" Çanakkale" Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Things to Do Tip by Kuznetsov_Sergey

Turkey Things to Do: 1,127 reviews and 1,818 photos

Çanakkale is a town and seaport on the Asian coast of the Dardanelles at their narrowest point. It was an Ottoman fortress called Sultaniye kalesi (Fortress of the Sultan).

This place is famous first of all because of the Persian King Xerxes who built his bridge of boats across the narrowest point of Dardanelles to land 100.000 troops on Thrace as part of his planned conquest of Europe. Xerxes' first attempt to bridge the Hellespont ended in failure when a storm destroyed the flax and papyrus bridge. Xerxes ordered the Hellespont whipped three hundred times and had fetters thrown into the water. Xerxes' second attempt to bridge the Hellespont was successful.

Alexander the Great began his eastern campaign by crossing the strait here. There were Arab and Crusader invasions in the following centuries.

Learn more out of my Çanakkale VT page .

You can watch my 2 min 23 sec HD Video Canakkale HD out of my Youtube channel with Turkish pop music by Mustafa Sandal – Gesmis Olisun.
You can watch my 2 min 55 sec HD Video Canakkale Dardanelles HD out of my Youtube channel with Turkish pop music by Asia – Bosver Hayat Kisa.
You can watch my 2 min 23 sec HQ Video Canakkale Dardanelles slide show Part I out of my Youtube channel with Turkish pop music by Berksan - Alliahim.
You can watch my 2 min 04 sec HQ Video Canakkale slide show Part II out of my Youtube channel with Turkish pop music by Goksel – Gunun Brinde.

• Written Jun 11, 2009

Comments

Kuznetsov_Sergey

“Where there's a will, there's a way”

Have you been to Turkey?