"Take The Water Taxi" Boat Tours & Taxis Tip by riorich55

Back of the Boat
      Where You Board The Boat
      Chicago Water Taxi Logo
    by riorich55

Heading toward the recent Chicago VT meeting after picking up my son and his girlfriend we were debating on how to traverse the 1.5 miles from my son's condo to Lou Malnati's Pizza. I said ,"Let's Walk". He said, "Let's Take the "L"". She said, "Let's Take a Taxi". Being a Libra I like to compromise so I said, "Let's walk a few blocks, past the "L" and take the Water Taxi".

This turned out to be a great idea even if we did miss the stop we wanted to get off of and were a little late for the 6:15 p.m. dinner start off time. But we got a nice ride on a chilly, yet sunny June evening and believe it or not this was my first time ever on the Chicago River in all my 56 years.

Now a little practical info: The Chicago Water Taxi runs during the spring, summer and fall. I believe it shuts down in the Winter. There are 3 stops along the route at Madison (where we got on) which is near the Ogilvie Transporation Center, at LaSalle and Clark which is near the Merchandise Mart (where we wanted to get off) and at Michigan Ave (near the Wrigley Building). Usually the water taxi stops at all 3 both coming and going, but since this was the last boat of the evening they were going from Madison to Michigan. They did however take us back to LaSalle and Clark.

The taxi's run from about 6:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. every weekday and run at about 12 to 15 minute intervals. I think the schedule is a little more limited on weekends, but just check the website for current info. The cost for a one way ride was $2. For an all day pass it would cost $4 or a 10 ride pass is $16. On weekends they also run the Taxi once an hour from 10:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. to Chinatown for a cost of $4 one way or $6 all day.

Phone: 312 337 1446
Type: Ship/Boat
Website: http://www.chicagowatertaxi.com

• Written Jun 10, 2009

riorich55 Visits Here Frequently!

“"There is no better high then discovery"”

Have you been to Chicago?