Superdawg: "Norwood Park-Iconic drivein" Top 5 Page for this destination Japonais Tip by Dabs

Japonais, Chicago: 26 reviews and 37 photos

Maurie and Flaurie approve of the new union

Maurie and Flaurie approve of the new union
    by Dabs
      Watch that atomic green relish Ken!
    by Dabs

Jo (jo104) just couldn't get enough of Chicago hot dogs so on our way back from our visit to the northern suburbs, we headed over to Superdawg, one of the iconic hot dog joints in Chicago which has been operating from this location since 1948. It oozes nostalgia, from the giant dancing hot dogs with flashing red and blue eyes on the top, named Maurie and Flaurie after the founders, to the drive in where you can still order from your car and have a carhop bring your food over on a tray and attach it to your car window. It just seems wrong to not eat in your car here, even though my brand new car had not yet been christened with in car dining, Superdawg is as good of a place as any to get over that new car smell.

Besides, when we walked over to see if there was any room to sit indoors there was an entire wedding party all decked out in their gowns and tuxedos taking up all of the tables, one of the car hops told us that it happens quite frequently!

Favorite Dish: I'm not a fan of the Chicago dog, I don't like mustard, relish or pickles, most of the key ingredients in a Chicago style dog. I usually order a chili dog or something else off the menu, here I ordered a Whoopskidawg ($6.45), a char broiled Romanian, Hungarian,
Polish sausage in a special sauce, served on a Whoopskiroll with grilled onion and a pickle. I was a little surprised when it showed up with the atomic green relish and mustard. But I ate it anyway and surprisingly I really enjoyed it. All sandwiches are served with superfries and those were quite good as well.

Address: 6363 N. Milwaukee Avenue
Rating: 5
Theme: Local
Website: http://www.superdawg.com/

• Updated Jun 23, 2009

Comments

Dabs Lives Here!

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Have you been to Chicago?