"Small, Poor, and Stunning" Comoros Favorite Tip by X_Over

Comoros General: 6 reviews and 1 photos

Favorite thing: The people in the capital city of Moroni on the Island of Gran Comoros are incredibly friendly. The country has an undeveloped tourism structure at best, so I suppose they haven't had a chance to have tourists get on their nerves and cause headaches.

I visited the country in March while deployed to a ship with the US Navy. I was one of the few people allowed to leave the ship which was anchored out as we say in the Navy. I am a photo journalist for the Navy and was documenting a community relations project that my fellow shipmates had volunteered for. The projects consisted of painting some monuments, and dropping off some first-aid and hygiene supplies to a local hospital.

Moroni is tiny and not much is available. The center of town is basically two streets perpindicular to each other, forming a T. Oh, and there is the port area, which has a somewhat dodgy vibe to it.

There is not much to purchase here, but make sure you can buy some incredibly sweet ylang ylang oil that is for sale almost in every shop. Comoros is the world's top producer of the fine fragrance.

Fondest memory: I have three great memories of my very short afternoon in Comoros. The first is seeing this incredible volcanic island rising out of the Indian Ocean. Then I would have to say that in between getting pictures of Sailors doing their volunteer work, snapping up photos of the locals. This involved being quite stealth with trying to capture pictures of the females as they do not like being photographed. The females where this unusual concoction on their faces that looks like a beauty fascial masc ala Queen Helene's Mint Julip Mask. However, the ladies where this in an attempt to protect from the glaring sun. My third and final memory consists of dipping my feet in the Indian Ocean for the first time.

• Updated Jun 8, 2009

X_Over's Related Pages

X_Over Visits Here Frequently!

“There is no ultimate destination, just enjoy the journey.”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Have you been to Comoros?