"A Very special place to stay!" Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Beach Hostel Tip by suvanki

Cascais Beach Hostel, Cascais: 9 reviews and 12 photos

Double Room

Double Room
      The Pool and Garden
      En suite Bathroom
      4 bedded dorm with ensuite
      2 French girls I met-cooking in the kitchen
    by suvanki

I think that the Cascais Beach Hostel is one of the best places that I've ever stayed at!

I'd booked it a few months prior to my trip (Through HostelBookers. com), mainly because it was one of the cheapest places to stay in Cascais - it had great reviews, and had a swimming pool!

Just before I left for Portugal, I saw that this was listed in a Sunday newspaper as 1 of the Top 10 boutique hostels in Portugal.

Prior to my trip, I'd had to contact the hostel a few times, as my friend had decided to join me for the Euromeet, which meant re-booking my room. I also kept changing my original plans, and in the end decided to stay here for the duration of my stay in Portugal. I was impressed by the way that this was dealt with.

The hostel is about 5-10 minutes walk from the station. I caught a taxi. There is no sign outside - just one on the window. There are a few steps up to the door.

Catarina the owner, welcomed me and informed me that I was to stay in the double room for my first 3 nights, for the same price as the 4 bedded dorm that I'd booked! When Margaret arrived on Friday, a Z-bed was put up - (so we didn't have to share the double bed - I´d booked thinking it was a twin bedded room) I then moved into a 4 bedded en suite dorm, which Catarina decided that I was to have all to myself!!

Cascais Beach Hostel is part of the Rituals Backpackers group - with an Apartment style hostel in Lisbon (and plans for one in Granada)

There are 26 beds, double rooms on the upper floor, named after the 5 palaces in Sintra, and dorms on the ground floor, (and in a small annexe) named after the beaches of Cascais.

Dorm 21 euros (£18.39) per night
Double room en-suite 49 Euros per room per night

The hostel is attractively decorated and furnished in a modern style, and is spotlessly clean.

Don't be misled that this hostel is near a beach though- it's nowhere near - probably 10-15 minutes walk to the town beach.

Unique Qualities: This hostel has the Wow Factor! I felt like I was staying with friends! The staff (Catarina, Henrique, Sussana and 'The Smiler' (I'm sorry, I keep forgetting this handsome young mans name) are all helpful and friendly, but unobtrusive.

One member of staff covers the 24 hour reception (sleeping in the lounge), and they were still smiling and welcoming when I rolled back in at 0400 and later!

The housekeeper (Nazari?) doesn't speak any English, but we enjoyed a laugh and a 'chat'

There was a lovely relaxing feel here.

The lounge has large bright bean bags and sofas to sprawl on, in front of the TV, with DVD and play-station.
Free internet use

One of the best stocked kitchens that I've seen - Fridge Freezer, food storage, ovens, Halogen hob, microwave, kettle, toaster, washing machine. Huge selection of crockery, cutlery and utensils - to Kitchen roll and paper napkins!

Dining area (inside and out)

Seating area in Moroccan style - complete with nargille.

Outside - lawns and decking. Small pool, sun loungers and hammock, barbecue.

There are a few grocery shops nearby (Continue uphill from the hostel,to the road running across) for basics, fresh bread and pastries etc. They appeared to close around 1800.

My favourite was the butchers shop- Talho "Bom Pastor" (he's open 'til 20.30)- the owner is so enthusiastic (and his English is very good) - I was shown how he made his kebabs, and chicken breast stuffed with chorizo. He also stocks local cheeses, plus fruit, veg and salad goods, breads (including ciabatta), beer, wine and other groceries.

In the shopping Mall opposite the station there is a supermarket, plus another-Jumbo adjacent to the Shopping Mall. I'm afraid that I never got to check these out. I didn't fancy lugging my shopping from here back up to the hostel.

Yes, I'm pleased that I stopped here, and I'd certainly recommend The Cascais Beach Hostel!!

They are on Facebook too!

Address: Cascais Beach Hostel Rua da vista alegre No 10 2750-517 Cascais
Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: From station pass Mc Donalds
Head down Ave Valbom
Walk by the left side of the park follow the road as it curves.
Continue past the Post Office 'til you reach a junction.
Head forward up Via Rua da vista alegre.
CBH is on the R. about 1/2 way up.

othercontact: cascaisbeachhostel@gmail.com
Phone: 00 351 309906421
Price: US$20-40
Theme: Hostel
Website: http://www.cascaisbeachostel.com

• Updated Jul 7, 2010

Comments

suvanki

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Have you been to Cascais?