"Visitor Center" Top 5 Page for this destination Information Tip by richiecdisc

Information, Grand Canyon National Park: 19 reviews and 53 photos

lots of restrooms out back with drinking water
by richiecdisc

The Grand Canyon Visitor Center is so immense it's its own area. You can't park right next to it, you either have to walk or take a shuttle bus. There are tons of outdoor displays and the inside (which is huge) is still in the process of trying to fill the area with more displays. Suffice to say, this can be a day trip in itself and certainly will fill a few hours if the weather is not cooperating or if you have a few hours in the middle of the hot day to kill.

Rangers are very helpful in helping you plan your visit. We did a six month trip to just about every National Park out west and the Grand Canyon staff was at the very top of the list with regard to knowledge and helpfulness. And that's not even counting the backcountry rangers, who should be given another big pat of the back. When I was there to work out the details of our upcoming backcountry trip I mentioned I needed some white gas for my stove and one of them pulled out a nearly full container and said someone had donated it when they were leaving the park. She gave it to me at no charge. It wound up lasting us for the entire six month trip, nearly 30 nights of backpacking!

One great thing about the Grand Canyon is they make getting drinking water for free easy. There are faucets perfect for refilling your water bottles at the Visitor center and lots of them. Drink it. It's only free, but it's essential to desert survival.

• Updated Jun 6, 2009

Comments

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Have you been to Grand Canyon National Park?