"CA Academy of Sciences--Steinhart Aquarium" Top 5 Page for this destination California Academy Of Science Tip by atufft
California Academy Of Science, San Francisco: 16 reviews and 52 photos
The completely reconstructed Steinhardt Aquarium again places San Francisco at the top of the heap in this sort of presentation. Folks from Southern California ought to visit this, because there's nothing down there to compare. Even the Long Beach Aquarium doesn't measure up. I actually like the Monterey Bay Aquarium slightly better, because it has otter shows and natural pumped in seawater right on the coast, but the Steinhardt no doubt uses ocean saltwater and has many exhibits of undersea life that are thematically arranged by selected regions of the world. The largest tanks are devoted to California's Pacific undersea habitat, with separate tanks representing the Southern and Northern California undersea ecosystem. The Northern California kelp forest tank is very large and impressive. Some specimens, such as the giant sea bass shown here, are endangered species.
Address: Area bounded by Lincoln, Fulton, Stanyan.
Directions: Golden Gate Park
Phone: (415) 379-8000
More Things to Do in San Francisco (65)
More Reviews (166)
- See All Twin Peaks and Other Fabulous Views
- See All Steepest Streets in San Francisco
- See All Hip Mission District Along Valencia...
- See All President Garfield Statue
- See All Dashiell Hammett Place
- See All Best Russian Bakery In The United States
- See All 2013 America's Cup
- See All Gay Pride Parade
- See All Classic San Francisco atop Nob Hill
- See All Don't Forget Your iPhone & iPad
- See All Yerba Buena Center For The Arts
- See All Civic Centric San Francisco
atufft's Related Pages
Have you been to San Francisco?Share Your Travels