"My favourite museum in Dublin!" Writers Museum Tip by Jefie

Dublin Writers Museum at Parnell Square

Dublin Writers Museum at Parnell Square
      The Gallery of Writers, on the second floor
    by Jefie

Probably the main reason why I've always been attracted to Ireland has to do with all the books I've read over the years written by Irish authors: Beckett, Goldsmith, Joyce, Shaw, Stoker, Swift, Wilde, Yeats... these are just a few of the authors I've come to love while studying literature. I wasn't sure what to expect from the Dublin Writers Museum, but it clearly was on my list of things to do in Dublin. In the end, it turned out to be my favourite museum in the city! The visit is quite simple: there are two rooms on the main floor that contain an impressive collection of manuscripts, letters, first editions and theatre programs, as well as other random things that have belonged to some of the city's most beloved authors. You're given an audio guide, and while I'm not usually a huge fan of these guides, I thought this one was particularly well made. It gave just the right amount of information, and included some very interesting facts and funny anecdotes. I usually get bored listening to audio guides, but this one was short enough that I would usually linger in front of each display before moving on to the next one. I was pleased to discover new authors and find out more about those I already knew - the only problem is that there are now dozens of new books I want to read!

Admission: 7.50 Euros

Address: 18 Parnell Square
Directions: North of the Liffey
Phone: 353 (01) 872-2077
Website: http://www.writersmuseum.com

• Written May 22, 2009

Comments

Jefie

“"Travel is fatal to narrow-mindedness"”

Have you been to Dublin?