"my heart just sank" Top 5 Page for this destination White Sands National Monument Favorite Tip by richiecdisc

White Sands National Monument General: 16 reviews and 29 photos

you can always find something to take photos of

you can always find something to take photos of
      D plays in the dunes
      White Sands at high noon
    by richiecdisc

Fondest memory: We got to the area late afternoon and enjoyed a beautiful sunset at the State Park, no slouch in the scenery department in its own right, before retiring to our tent for the night. But we forgoed a nice slow morning and our warm sleeping bags and made our way over to the Monument in the dark. It was freezing cold and there was one car in front of us, waiting for the gate to open. I thought it odd there was a gate. Generally speaking, the National Parks are open around the clock but they only have people collecting fees during the set popular hours. Finally, a ranger arrived to let himself in and he came up to our car to explain that the park didn't open until 8:00 AM. He had only come this early to let the person parked in front of us in an hour early, a privilege she had paid $50 for. He seemed to feel bad for us but he couldn't let us in without the required permit.

It was too late to go back so we waited for the official opening and drove into the pretty much deserted park. The light wasn't bad and we enjoyed frolicking in the huge dunes with not a soul to intrude on us. We then drove further into the park as the sun got higher and saw the woman who had paid to enter early already apparently leaving. Even she couldn't have gotten into position for the actual sunrise and I couldn't see paying that much money without that accomplishment. My heart sank at the thought I'd not be able to do it either. (continued below in Fondest Memory)

• Written May 21, 2009

Comments

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Have you been to White Sands National Monument?