"Women in Marseille" Marseille Warnings Or Dangers Tip by nevaehliz2

Marseille Warnings and Dangers: 32 reviews and 10 photos

After reading all the tips here i decided to throw in my two cents. I moved to marseille when I was 21. I didn't speak french and had never even left my country! ( american). Bright blond, pale and completely ignorant of the world around me. It was one of the most liberating but toughest things I have done on my life so far. I would say to all women travelling, more so if you look '' western'', be very careful about how you talk to the men, try not to make eye contact on the street with any man as this is almost an invitation. I made the mistake even after three years. My openess as an american would just suddenly pop out and I would regret it later.
It is a VERY dirty city. Urine and fecal matter is everywhere, watch where you step!. If you are blond I suggest wearing some head gear, a scarf maybe. I felt more comfortable.
Avoid side streets and back streets. Men are aggressive so assert yourself if you have to.
watch out for theives. Everyday, even after walking the same market everyday i was mistaken for a tourist and almost pickpocketed ( i almost made a shirt that said " I am NOT a tourist)
On the upside, the food is AMAZING, the water is AMAZING the culture, music and art scene is amazing and I have marseille to thank for giving me this american/marseille accent when I speak french :)...ohhh, excuse me, when i speak marseille :)!!!!

• Written May 18, 2009

Ranked Member

Have you been to Marseille?