Hot Chocolate: "Wicker Park-brunch/desserts" Top 5 Page for this destination Mindy's Hot Chocolate Tip by Dabs

Mindy's Hot Chocolate, Chicago: 1 reviews and 0 photos

I was so looking forward to trying this hot spot in Wicker Park, I mean what's not to love about a place that's named Hot Chocolate when you have a sweet tooth?

We arrived at a little after 11:00 am on a sunny Sunday morning, no reservations taken for brunch, and as expected there was a 30-45 minute wait. The restaurant isn't terribly large but they squeezed a lot of tables into the space, with the loud music and lots of conversations, it's not a place to go if you are looking for a quiet meal.

Hot Chocolate is well known for their desserts, if you call for reservations for the evening, they will ask you if it is just for dessert or for a full meal.

Favorite Dish: I started off with light hot chocolate ($6), oh my, immediately plunged into a sugar coma. It's mostly white chocolate with some dark and milk with a bunch of spices, don't get this unless you like really sweet things. We ordered some warm doughnuts ($8) to start, the order consists of 4 doughnut the size of donut holes coated in cinnamon sugar with raspberry preserves. $2 a doughnut hole? Sorry, not worth it. I ordered the housemade Brioche French Toast that came with a side of organic sausage ($10), it was good but I was so "sugared" out that I only could eat about 1/2 of it.

Would I come back here for brunch? No. But I'm hoping to come back and try some of the desserts that the owner, Mindy Segal, is so famous for sometime in the future. If you are looking for brunch in the area, I think Bongo Room is a better choice.

Address: 1747 N. Damen
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: A couple of blocks north of North Avenue, west of 90/94. I found free parking on a side street, there is also plenty of metered parking.
Phone: 773-489-1747
Price: US$21-30
Rating: 3
Theme: American
Website: http://www.hotchocolatechicago.com/

• Written May 4, 2009

Comments

Dabs Lives Here!

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Have you been to Chicago?