"Underground to Richmond" Richmond Transportation Tip by suvanki

Richmond Transportation: 14 reviews and 20 photos

Richmond Underground Station
      Richmond Underground Station
    by suvanki
      London Underground carriage - not too crowded!!
      Turnham Green London Underground sign
      Richmond (Greater London) Station front
      Sunset from train Richmond to Earls Court
    by suvanki

Although I initially set off from Earls Court (the nearest station to my hotel) by underground on the District (Green) line, the majority of the journey was confusingly in the open, so it was nice to see a bit of the scenery on the way.

I had purchased an Oyster card for my 3 day trip, so I'm not sure of the single cost for this journey. If you check this LINK you'll find all you want to know, (including prices) about the London Underground System.
My journey was off peak, I set off from Earls Court around 1100. So the train was quite uncrowded. I think it would be very different during rush hour!

I alighted at Turnham Green (Love the name of this station) to transfer to a train going to Richmond, where the line terminates. This train arrived less than a couple of minutes later. The District line forks here, so you have a chance of being on the direct line to Richmond, or to Ealing Broadway (which I was on). It wasn't any hassle as the train arrives at the same platform.

When the train doors opened a few minutes later, I was struck by a strong floral scent - I think it was coming from the lilac trees in a nearby garden.

Richmond London Underground and National Rail Overground stations share the same exits etc. There are a few shops, cafes etc in the station as well as a dry cleaning service. Ticket Office in the entrance foyer - Machines or manned service.

Toilets cost 20p - either 1x20p coin or 2X 10p coins - NO CHANGE GIVEN! - so check the red l.c.d. display near the coin slot, as when Angie wanted to use the toilets later in the day, there was already a 10p credit, so she only had to pay 10p. Presumably someone earlier had only a 50p or 1 coin, so was subsidising other users.

Outside the station exit (pic 4) is a taxi rank/drop off/pick up area. Beyond this is a busy main road with local bus stops. At the time of my visit, traffic was quite congested.

There is a sign post with directions to all the nearby attractions/useful places. It indicates that the tourist Info office is to the left of the station.

A few metres from the station exit (to the left) are some shops such as Costa Coffee and Source, which have tables outside to enjoy a drink, and where you can spot the frequent planes descending into Heathrow airport nearby.

Returning, there are 7 platforms - Underground and Overground. The electronic timetable listed the terminuses, but as far as I could see there wasn't a clear distinction between underground and Overground services. I gave up and asked an employee standing nearby - he indicated the Upminster train which was due to leave imminently (which would take me direct to Earls Court on the District Line). As it happened there was quite a wait, before we got moving. Then later there was an announcement for the station we were approaching that all passengers for the Overground service changed there.

Tip - if you're travelling from Richmond around sunset, sit on the left side of the train - The sky was quite stunning the evening of my journey (pic 5)

There are frequent announcements to tell you the next station, and to change here for...., but these are only in English (as far as I'm aware)

Mode: TO
Type: Subway/Metro

• Updated May 2, 2009

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Have you been to Richmond?