"Marmore waterfalls, manmade and strange" Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Things to Do Tip by Trekki

Italy Things to Do: 1,470 reviews and 2,257 photos

Cascata delle Marmore are something strange! They are really beautiful ? but artificial. Well, not actually artificial, but they won?t exisit without man?s interference. This interference began already in Roman times when it was decided to drain the plains of Rieti (which is the region around Lago Piediluco) by directing river Velino over the cliff down into river Nera (the one which gave name to Valnerina). Those days it must have been a constant waterfall, but since 1924 it is used to generate energy in the nearby Galleto hydroelectric powerplant. Thus it is controlled now and can be viewed in its splendor only at specific times per day. These change constantly depending on month and day of the week, but they are published on the Marmore website: waterfall timetable.

I came from San Pietro in Valle and was on my way to Lago Piediluco when I drove past the waterfall. Originally I didn?t plan to visit it but then I saw that it was ?on? and briefly stopped at the huge parking lot (obviously made for a tremendous amount of busses). I checked the prices but decided that for 5 ? I better stay outside and look at the waterfall from the street. Which was also nice :-)

According to the website, there is a path leading from the waterfall?s bottom (Belvedere Inferiore = lower viewpoint) to the upper one (Belvedere Superiore).

As I love legends, I must share this one of how Cascata delle Marmore was formed with you: once upon a time, nymph Nera and pastoralist Velino were in love. But Jupiter very much disapproved and transformed Nera into a river. Velino, in desperation, plunged down the cliffs to reunite with her.

Location of Cascata delle Marmore on Google Maps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Region: Umbria;
nearest airport: Roma (Ciampino, CIA or Fiumicino, FCO) or Perugia (PEG).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ingrid D., May 2009 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.)

Address: Cascata delle Marmore (southern Umbria)
Directions: On SS 209, which is the road parallel and east to the highway between Spoleto and Terni.

• Updated Aug 13, 2013

Trekki Visits Here Frequently!

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Have you been to Italy?