"Valle Umbra ? discover the hidden gems" Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Things to Do Tip by Trekki

Italy Things to Do: 1,470 reviews and 2,257 photos

Campello sul Clitunno
      Campello sul Clitunno
  • Trevi - Italy
  • Spello - Italy
  • - Italy
  • - Italy

During my almost one week stay in Bevagna (resp. in the hills above the town) I made several day trips to explore the beuatiful Valle Umbra.Once in Umbria, I could not help but adapt to the very slow atmosphere and life, it just grabs you and is part of the enchantment of visiting Umbria. So I didn?t race through the hills but drove very slowly around and stopped many times for photos or just for exploring some village or backstreet. Almost every hour I found another gem like a church or a cute little village with fountains, an old temple of 5th century or an old spring with a lovely park and landscape around. I will mention some in my off-path section. Others I drove through or stopped briefly at are:
In the valley:
Massa Martana,
Gualdo Cattaneo,
Castel Ritaldi,

At the eastern slopes:
Campello sul Clitunno.

When you open the links you will soon see that they all lead to the same website, the one of Bill Thayer, who has travelled several times to Umbria (and other parts of Italy) and has visited all 92 commune. I love his website, which is so full of information and certainly a love for this part of Italy. And unknowingly he helped me much in preparing my trip to Umbria. Careful though, you can easily spend days on his site.
For looking up specific villages, I did not mention above, please see his list of Umbrian towns.

I can only highly recommend to spend at least one or two days to explore this fascinating part of Umbria, and you surely will discover even more gems than I did :-)

Region: Umbria;
nearest airport: Roma (Ciampino, CIA or Fiumicino, FCO) or Perugia (PEG).

Ingrid D., May 2009 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.)

Address: Valle Umbra, south of Perugia and Assisi (Umbria)

• Updated Aug 13, 2013

Trekki Visits Here Frequently!

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Have you been to Italy?