"Cesenatico ? beautiful old ships in the port" Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Things to Do Tip by Trekki

Italy Things to Do: 1,470 reviews and 2,257 photos

Magnificent ship colours in Cesenatico
      Cesenatico's Maritime Museum
    by Trekki

Cesenatico?s old port was a very much oh wow effect when I drove by. I didn?t intend to stop here because I was on my way south to Le Marche. But then I saw these ships in the old port with very much colourful sails and even more so as it was a beautiful sunny day. Next to it was a parking lot, so I got out to see what these ships were all about. I was thrilled to learn that they are sitting there permanently and are even used during festivals for sailings. I walked around in the port with open mouth ? first because these colours of the sails were so very much bright and strong and because I never saw ships (or sails) like these before. I was very tempted to go into the museum and learn more, but as I already had decided to come back to this area for more exploring in a separate trip. Cesenatico?s port and museum are even more reason to do so.

But I found much information on the former museum?s website and thanks to the Italian part I am even able to identify the ships. The colourful sails show symbols of the fishermens? families. On the website is written that during Christmas, the ships are transformed into a crib with life size statues of the fishermen on the boats. This must be a gorgeous sight! Well, Italy is known for very creative and often life size nativity scenes.

Leonardo da Vinci has designed Cesenatico?s port in 1502 and it is said that his work was very effective to protect the port against situation. The museum shows more about this all as well about the history of marine life. Next to the Marine Museum is the so-called Antiquarium which is dedicated to the Roman history of this region. The museums are open only on weekends and holidays, 10:00 ? 12:00 and 15:00 ? 19:00, entrance fee 2 ?. So much reason to come back one day and spend a full day in these museums :-)

All in all, this was maybe the most unexpected sights during my trip. This short trip along Cesenatico?s old port made me very much ashamed, as I had my ?perceptions? about the Adriatic sea ? the one of my childhood, the ?teutonic barbecue?. And this made me completely neglect the fact that this region had its past and even an important past long before ?we Teutons? came, invaded and somehow vandalised the region by branding it with our wishes for Bratwurst and Pommes and Schnitzel along with beach and sun and parasols and thus running down the region?s identity for a long time.
I was very much moved when I realised how deep my ridiculous imagination was influencing my expections and more than happy to see that the region and its people got their identity back ? now they are no longer serving Pommes and Schnitzel, but local specialities and surprise with a very lively and colourful history.

Update, January 1, 2011:
The old museum website is gone. The new one (see below) is much better although only brief in the provided English and German information. See right side for pdf downloads.

Location of Cesenatico Old Port on Google Maps.

Region: Emilia Romagna;
nearest airport: Bologna (code BLQ) or Rimini (RMI).

Ingrid D., May 2009, update January 2011 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.)

Address: Cesenatico, Emilia-Romagna
Website: http://cms.delfo.fc.it/web/museo_marineria/barche_naviganti

• Updated Aug 13, 2013

Trekki Visits Here Frequently!

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Have you been to Italy?