"Mulu Canopy Skywalk" Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Things to Do Tip by AlbuqRay

State of Sarawak Things to Do: 131 reviews and 292 photos

Mulu Canopy Skywalk in the Tree Tops
      Mulu Canopy Skywalk in the Tree Tops
      Base of the Mulu Canopy Skywalk
      Stairs to the Skywalk
      Span Across a Small River
      Typical Platform Between Spans
    by AlbuqRay

The Mulu Canopy Skywalk is relatively new (2005?). Its spans run tree-to-tree for 480 meters at 15 ? 25 meters above the forest floor. Although the Mulu Canopy Skyway claims to be the longest tree-based walkway in the world, in northern Malaysia there is a Tree Top Walk in the Sedim River Recreation Park that is 950 meters long. Maybe there is some distinction between the two. You may only tour the skywalk with a guide and it costs RM30. When I checked-in at the Park headquarters, they gave me a Mulu Discovery Planner map and indicated the following times for the skywalk tours: 07:00, 08:30, 10:30, 11:00, 13:00 and 14:00. The early morning tours are supposedly when you see the animals. It takes about 30 minutes to walk to the base of the skywalk from Park headquarters. See also a couple of videoclips.

BTW, my experience in booking this tour is an example of serendipity. I had tried to book the 08:30 Clearwater/Wind Caves tour by longboat the day before. They told me to wait and get the ticket the next morning. As it turned out the next day, it was pouring rain until around 10:30. I decided to take the 11:00 canopy skywalk instead. I went over at 10:50 to buy my ticket. It ended up being my first experience (of 3) with my least favorite Park staff member. First he told me that the tour had already left. When I pointed out that it wasn't even 11:00 yet, he then said it had been cancelled. He also said the 13:00 tour was cancelled but I could take the 14:00 tour. I think what happened was that I was the only one wanting to go at 11:00 and 13:00; maybe he was the guide and didn't want to go for just one person. I went ahead and signed up for the 14:00 tour. It turned out there were only five of us and the guide, Kenneth (a different person), was excellent. The second part of the serendipity was by finishing the canopy skywalk later in the day, I decided to try to see the bat flight again, and they did come out. So my least favorite Park staff member actually did me a favor!

• Updated Apr 28, 2009

“Karma with free will: we earn our destiny by choosing among countably infinite eigenstates”

Have you been to State of Sarawak?