"Observatoy Hill" Top 5 Page for this destination Clifton Observatory, Camera Obscura and Caves Tip by mindcrime

Observatory hill
      Observatory hill
      Christ church
      Observatory and Camera Obscura
      Observatory and Camera Obscura
    by mindcrime

On my way to see Suspension bridge I walked through this nice park (pic 1) at the Observatory hill. Where the bus dropped me I noticed the nice Christ church(pic 2) and then I walked up the hill to check the Observatory and Camera Obscura. The Clifton Observatory (pics 3-4) was originally a snuff mill destroyed by a gale in 1777. In 1828 William West rented the mill and installed the camera obscura which works till today! There is a box on top of the tower that has several lens and a mirror. As light reflects down to a dark room gives an image that is the panoramic view of the surrounding area. William West was an artist that used the camera to help students that were drawing the Avon Gorge. If you don?t go inside you can see examples of these paintings at City Museum.

There were only a few people around so the atmosphere was really nice and romantic. There are many benches everywhere and you sit and relax for a while. William West built a tunnel that connected the Observatory to St Vincent?s Cave on the cliff face but I didn?t manage to visit it. I preferred to watch the sun go down and with silent footsteps we moved toward the suspension bridge while another song by Portishead(who else!) came to my mind:

Did you realise, no one can see inside your view / Did you realise, forwhy this sight belongs to you (?Strangers?)

Address: Clifton
Directions: bus 8 takes you to Observatory Hill
Phone: +00 44 (0)117 974 1242
Website: http://www.bristolastrosoc.org.uk/www/pages/observing/saturday-public-viewing-nights-at-the-observatory.php

• Written Apr 26, 2009

• Galaxy31's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2016 at 8:54 AM

Great review but I have enjoyed St Vincent caves even if at places was very narrow to go through I have enjoyed the view from chapel.

• mindcrime's Profile Photo
      Jun 23, 2016 at 9:42 AM

I'm sure it was interesting there but believe me, I didnt want nothing more than that light at that moment

• EasyMalc's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2016 at 8:35 AM

There's nothing better than going somewhere that has a personal meaning and listening to the relevant music. Nice review

“WORLD is a book. Don't read just one page!”

Have you been to Bristol?