"Facilities for the students" Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Favorite Tip by Trekki

Marburg an der Lahn General: 22 reviews and 64 photos

Marburg, main student canteen (mensa)
by Trekki
      Marburg, main student canteen (mensa)
      Marburg, main auditorium = Audimax
      Marburg, main auditorium = Audimax
    by Trekki
      Marburg, newer students homes (of 1970)
      Marburg, old students homes
    by Trekki

Favorite thing: Already when I was studying (1978-1989), the facilities for students were excellent. And they have improved over the years from what I have heard and experienced. I am visting my old university from time to time for no specific reason other than that I want to go back where I learned (scientific) values and policy (as opposed to the mendacious crap which is published and lived by the majority of today?s economy, that?s why I can judge the quality of food served in the canteens.
Marburg has two big canteens, one downtown on the eastern bank of Lahn river where Luisa Haeuser Bridge is crossing the river and one on Lahnberge for the science students. Both are excellent, and the prices are very much reasonable. From what I have read on the website of Studentenwerk (student service) they take care that the ingredients are ecologically safe and guaranteed. Well, this is easy given the farmland in Marburg?s surroundings. But it shows that they haven?t fell for the god of greed as many other institutions do these days. In addition to the canteens there are several cafeterias scattered downtown and on Lahnberge. However, it is not possible to eat in the canteens without a special cashless card, called Ucard. They are given only to students or university staff. I was invited by my professor, that?s how I came to eat here. But the cafeterias are for everyone.

Fondest memory: Studentenwerk/student service also takes care of the stundet residential homes, six of these and some with several houses like the ?student town? on the slopes of Lahnberge. The homes have public rooms for reading, kitchens, TV rooms and depending on the house rather big rooms to rent. Five of the houses are located on or at the castle hill, in old houses, which makes it extra special to live there. The others are more of the typical apartment buildings. While I was studying in Marburg I lived in one of these for most of my time and liked it. We took care of each other, had cooking parties very often, which was fascinating because of the international students ? we almost always ended up with thrilling international dishes.
Philipps University homepage lists the other facilities for students like computer centre, sports centre (big diversity in sports groups offered), facilities for blind students (Philipps University was a pioneer in offering equal opportunities for blind students) and many more.
As an university, I can highly recommend Philipps University and from the living aspect I think no other university location can beat this lovely town.

• Updated Apr 25, 2009

Trekki Used To Live Here!

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Have you been to Marburg an der Lahn?