"Aren't the students of geography lucky?" Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Local Custom Tip by Trekki
Marburg an der Lahn Local Customs: 28 reviews and 120 photos
Yes, they are. They can have maybe the oldest house complex all to their own! Their faculty is located behind Elisabethkirche and the houses once were built by the Order of the Teutonic Knights in 13th century. It was their living quarters and rooms for general purposes like praying, kitchen, storage of goods and stables. The main storage for grain was next to it, that?s where the Mineralogy Museum is now (see to-do section). The whole complex is being called Deutsches Haus, a reference to the Teutonic Knights; their German name was Deutschhausritter. The entrance portal is newer though, of Renaissance times.
As I could see on newer photos, the tree in my main photo has been cut in the meantime. This is because they are doing archaeological digging around Elisabethkirche, with the purpose to find more evidence like graveyards of the Teutonic Knights.
This Deutschhaus complex is facing to the south and except of Elisabethkirche there is no building which hides the sun.
The Homepage of Faculty of Geography has more information about the location and its history, but? you guessed, in German only.
More Local Customs in Marburg an der Lahn (24)
More Reviews (71)
- See All Utmost culinary delights and lovely...
- See All Heavenly peace in the hills above...
- Anyone for a relaxing boat tour on Lahn?
- Comfortable shoes are a life saver!
- No parking inside the old town!
- See All Blue plaques guide through Marburg
- See All Beautiful home decoration
- See All Elevators facilitate the steep ascents
- See All A very special destination: Spiegelslust
- See All Schweinsberg, castle on a hilltop :-)
Trekki's Related Pages
Have you been to Marburg an der Lahn?Share Your Travels