"Long Bedian" Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Things to Do Tip by AlbuqRay

State of Sarawak Things to Do: 131 reviews and 292 photos

Long Bedian Landing and Old Longhouse

Long Bedian Landing and Old Longhouse
      Kampung Long Bedian Commercial District
      More Long Bedian Shops and Cafes
      Uvung Tam Services
      Where We Landed
    by AlbuqRay

I spent less than one hour in Long Bedian, so I don't know much about it. We came by longboat from Long Atip and got out on a muddy river bank in what I shall call a Long Bedian "suburb." We then walked to the commercial district where the shops and cafes are located. I waited in the Uvung Tam Services shop while Nuh found our ride to the Tenyok Rimba jungle resort, a community run resort about 30 minutes drive from downtown (see my transportation tip).

As I understand it, the commercial district and resort have kept Long Bedian from being like other longhouses, i.e., where many people move to the cities to find jobs. JourneyMalaysia tells us that "Long Bedian?s community is made up of a population 1,686 with 180 houses. The majority are Kayan with a mix of Kelabit, Kenyah, Morek , Penan and other smaller tribes. Long Bedian is the main trading point for the nomadic Penans to trade their jungle ware." Long Bedian even has a helipad.

I found a VT member from Long Bedian; however, ebedian has not signed in since 2003. He has a map of Long Bedian and pictures of the Tenyok Rimba jungle resort being built in his travelogue. The external web page that he references looks like the longhouse's website and gives some interesting information also.

• Updated Apr 24, 2009

Comments

AlbuqRay

“Karma with free will: we earn our destiny by choosing among countably infinite eigenstates”

Have you been to State of Sarawak?