"for some christian vibes" Coptic Cairo Tip by mindcrime

cobbled alleys in Coptic Cairo
      St George church
      Coptic Museum
    by mindcrime

This is were the Christian used (and still) live in Cairo. There are walls that circle the district that is the oldest of the modern part of Cairo. I think it was the only place in Cairo I used the metro and not the taxi. When I got out of the metro I saw several policemen but the whole area was quite and peaceful in general. The first thing I saw was the old roman walls (ok, just part of it). What I liked most was to walk among the small cobbled alleys(pic 1) trying to visit some of the churches.

The church of Saint George(pic 2) is a greek orthodox church (originally built in 10th century) and it seemed I was back in Greece for a while with all the signs in greek and so many greeks around. By the way I know many greeks that choose to get married here. The monastery is closed to public but you can visit the chapel with a 8m high door.

I also visited the St.Barbara church(founded in the 5th century but rebuilt in 11th) and then spend time t the greek orthodox cemetery. St. Sergius church supposed to been built on a cave that the Holy Family stayed for awhile. The last church I visited was the Hanging Church with a nave suspended above the passage and has this weird name because it was built above the ruins of an old Babylon fortress in 9th century. You can also visit the Ben Ezra Synagogue which is the oldest in Egypt.
Before going back with metro I visit the Coptic Museum (pic3), that has some interesting but not impressive artifacts from greek roman period till the Islamic era. Probably the Egyptian Museum was enough for me.

Address: Old Cairo
Directions: Take metro to Mari Girgis stop which is just 3-4 stops from Midan Tahrir.

• Updated Apr 21, 2009

Comments

mindcrime

“WORLD is a book. Don't read just one page!”

Have you been to Cairo?