Harwood Arms: "Harwood Arms - Fulham Gastropub" Top 5 Page for this destination Harwood Arms Tip by sue_stone

Harwood Arms, London: 1 reviews and 6 photos

We met friends for an early Sunday dinner at the Harwood Arms. I liked the look of the pub immediately, it was (half)filled with happy looking people, the lighting was good, and the tables weren't too rammed in. And I liked the staff too, especially when they happily let us move from our allocated table in the noisy part of the bar, to a more spacious one where we could hold a conversation without having to shout.

I was ravenous and almost leapt on the bread when it arrived. The white bread was good, but the soda bread (apparently made on the premises) was very delicious and reminded me why I was once addicted to the stuff after a holiday in Ireland a few years back.

Favorite Dish: The boys started with the Pigeon Tea with a game sausage roll. The presentation was fabulous - a tea cup filled with pigeon and mushroom broth, accompanied by an evil looking sausage roll. There were no complaints as they sipped, slurped, and munched their way through the dish.

I wasn't excited about the main courses on offer, well I should say I WAS excited by a couple of them, but due to my current 'pregnant' situation there was only really one I could order - the Crisp fillet of Wiltshire rainbow trout with smoked bacon, creamed spinach, semolina dumplings, and sea purslane. Ok, this was a nice dish full of flavour and all that…. but it wasn't rare Rib of Beef… Nor was it the Whole Wood Pigeon with Cumbrian air dried ham, chicory braised in mead, buttered onions, and toasted sourdough, which looked amazing, and was happily devoured by my husband.

Speaking of beef, our friends ordered the Rib of Berkshire beef for 2, with Yorkshire puddings, field mushrooms, roast potatoes and horseradish. I almost cried when it arrived as it looked so good. They felt sorry for me and threw one of the roast potatoes my way. The beef portion was so generous that it wasn't until plates were being cleared that anyone realised the aforementioned Yorkshire puddings and field mushrooms never appeared.

We shared two desserts - the Black treacle tart with Cornish clotted cream, and the Bowl of warm Yorkshire rhubarb doughnuts with vanilla sugar. I had been really looking forward to the tart but found it a bit too full of ginger. The doughnuts were better received and quickly
consumed.

Rating: 4
Theme: Pub/Brewery
Website: http://www.harwoodarms.com/

• Written Apr 21, 2009

Comments

sue_stone Used To Live Here!

Have you been to London?