"Cameron Highlands - Self-Drive (Day 1)" Cameron Highlands Favorite Tip by derektankw

Cameron Highlands General: 37 reviews and 32 photos

Favorite thing: This comes later, but better late than never. I have gained much from Virtual Tourists when I was researching for information to prepare for this trip.

I feel I should I give back, so that others could benefit from my experiences too.

The blog on the trip spans over 6 days (5 parts each) from 20 to 25 Dec 2007. I had posted it on my yahoo blog, and I am going to copy & paste them here for all to share.

Hope you will enjoy. Any positive comments are most welcome.

With Regards,

Derek Tan (derektankw@yahoo.com)

Fondest memory: 20-Dec, Hari Raja Haji, Thursday. The weather was slightly gloomy, over cast with cloud and slight shower. Nevertheless, we had planned for the trip and shall not be deter by the weather. All set, left PLW around 10:30am for Merpati. Pick up Mom & Sis.

8 of us: Mom, Serene, Mui San, Zen Sheen, Zen Wei, Zen Ern, Murtini, and yours sincerely.

Customs on both side of Linkedua was smooth, with a slight queue that had built up at Malaysia's end, but that was expected and the wait wasn't too unbearable. That was about 12:30pm by the time we crossed the Malaysia custom. A good 2 hours detour from Aljunied to CBP to Second Link and finally making the crossing.

Zen Ern earned her first chop in her passport. Her first overseas trip and was she excited ! Keep calling Mama for the entire trip.

Crossed the first toll, didn't have enough in the Touch'n'Go card, paid RM8.40. Top up RM300. Second toll costed RM3.10, Third toll is where we enter the main axis of the North-South Highway, towards our stop for the night - Ipoh. The last toll near Ipoh costed RM69.90.

Make several rest stops along the way. One of these was the 'Restoran Jejantas' after Ayer Keroh at Melaka. That is the bridge restuarant that spans across the highway, with restuarants such as A&W (very rare in Singapore for those that grew up with A&W Rootbeer Float). Had 'Tunch' there before we hit the road again.

Entered Ipoh around 8:00pm in the night. Top up the petrol at ESSO for RM94.50 for 49.22litres (Synergy @ Rm1.92/litre). Checked in at Hotel Ipoh City, 2 Deluxe rooms (2 queen double in each) for RM144.90/night each. Went to Lau-Huang (Old Yellow) Nga Choy Kai for Ipoh hor fun, Bean Sprouts, Chicken, Chicken leg, fish ball soup, and that costed about RM40. Next to the 2 shops round the corner for the Tau-Sha-Biarn, Kaya Puff, Bei-Tei-Shor and the local goodies. After that, we drove to the old town to recce the place where we plan to go the next morning. Then it is back to the hotel for the night.

• Updated Apr 17, 2009

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Have you been to Cameron Highlands?