"Country Dancehall" Broken Spoke Tip by msbrandysue

Broken Spoke, Austin: 5 reviews and 7 photos

Alright...Austin legend Broken Spoke was the first place I went to last time I was in Austin. I heard about it in 1000 Places to See and MANY other programs and magazines. I wasn't impressed with the food or service but was impressed at the originality and authenticity. There are dozens of pictures of many famous Texas heroes and celebrities that have been in Broken Spoke.

The food was not worth it. We read on their menu they had been voted best chicken fried streak by a few well-known magazines (won't name them here). Both my aunt and I ordered them and we both thought it was bad. The rolls had been microwaved and were impossible to bite into. The potato comes with nothing on it but you can put your own butter and sour cream. I thought I saw someone order some cheese fries and was way jealous!

The staff was very unhelpful. We got there before the dancing got started but there was only one waitress running everyone's orders. She kind of ran by and was perturbed that we wanted a menu. She stopped waitressing as more people came into dance (around 9pm) so we had to go up to the bar to pay our tab. It took almost 20 minutes to get to a bartender who would give us the time of day. I wanted to walk out but knew I couldn't.

On Thursday night it was $7 to get back into the dance hall. Man, was there an array of people! Young, old, casual, fancy, tattooed bikers, college kids, and everyone in between. The dance floor was packed and it was very crowded. I am severely claustrophobic so I didn't dare go in the back.

The bar was a joke. There are three bartenders going crazy. The bar is in the center of the place so the restaurant customers are trying to order and get drinks or refills. The dancers are trying to get drinks and water and then the third side is open for anyone in between trying to quench their dancing thirst.

If you want some authentic Texas dancing experience put on your boots and come on down. Anything other than that would no be worth it...Read more

Dress Code: Wow, ok, there was such a diversity. Dress up or down and you'll be fine. But I'd protect your toes from any missed steps.

Address: 3201 S. Lamar
Directions: It's small so beware! Keep a look out...
Phone: (512) 442-6189
Theme: Dancing
Website: http://www.brokenspokeaustintx.com

• Written Apr 13, 2009

Comments

msbrandysue Visits Here Frequently!

msbrandysue

“God made Texas on his day off...for pure entertainment. Mary Lasswell”

Have you been to Austin?