"Geenland" Greenland Favorite Tip by balfor

Greenland General: 24 reviews and 22 photos

Favorite thing: Hi Eric,
I can only relate a bit of experience from a very small part of Greenland. I was working at the Thule Air Base for a year but didn't get to do much besides explore the local area. Seeing the ice cap is very cool, as is seeing the glaciers flowing into the fjords or just walking along the shore listening to the ice in the ocean cracking and popping and almost sounding like the musical sounds a stream makes flowing over a rocky bed with lots of mini-waterfalls. :-) I don't know about seeing polar bears while you're out, but seeing the huge rabbits/hares and the small foxes running about the country side is very interesting.

Thule is so far north that there aren't any bushes or trees so I really didn't have much of hiking/outdoorsy experience. But we did have an ice cave up there, as well as camp century. I never made it out there, but it was a military base that was built UNDER the snow cap. And, of course, if you're out there early enough for the ocean to still be frozen over, you can walk out to icebergs that were frozen in place through the winter!

It is a very coo, but very desolate place. :-)

• Written Apr 13, 2009

Comments

balfor Used To Live Here!

balfor

“Okay, I got it all together.... now where did I put it?”

Have you been to Greenland?