"Dragons and ghosts (Wettergasse 11)" Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Local Custom Tip by Trekki

Marburg an der Lahn Local Customs: 28 reviews and 120 photos

Carved dragon looks a bit dangerous

Carved dragon looks a bit dangerous
    by Trekki
      This must be heavy to support, poor guy
      Magnificent wood carvings
      The house in full glory
    by Trekki
      Beautiful entrance door tothe tea shop
    by Trekki

The house in Wettergasse 11 of 1899 looks a bit out of place with the decoration at the first floor. With its bright red door (photo 5) and the dragon and mermaid it could well be from Hamburg or any other northern German city or town. So far I failed to find out why the architect had this fascinating carvings placed on the first floor. Maybe as eye catcher, maybe the owner was a spice trader and wanted to see this reflected in the decoration? But it certainly fits to the shop which is located here: a tea house. The shop owner sells many kinds and flavours of tea, mostly of Tea Gschwendner, but she told me that she is flexible and also allowed to sell from other sources. She certainly makes a nice special mixture of black tea with lemon and orange flavour.

This house is in Wettergasse, on the western side, with its façade to the east. So the best time to take photos is in the morning, when the sun has risen just above the eastern side of Wettergasse.

• Updated Apr 23, 2009

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Love the carvings! I always am interested in the looks on their faces, they look so real!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      Nov 13, 2013 at 12:12 AM

I know I would by what you have written, it is me all over. I doubt if we will be back to Europe, but if we ever are, it will be on the itinerary!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
      Nov 13, 2013 at 12:29 AM

:-)) Haha, yes, that was me too when I was there for a long weekend :-) I couldn't get enough and was thinking of what I had for 10 years but ... didn't appreciate enough :-)

Trekki Used To Live Here!

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Have you been to Marburg an der Lahn?