"Snorkelling trip to the Gilis" Lombok Things to Do Tip by Loops

Lombok Things to Do: 134 reviews and 279 photos

There are more than one group of Gilis (Gili, I believe, means 'island'), but the Gilis that most people go to are the ones in the north west of Lombok - Gili Air, Gili Trawangan and Gili Meno.

We went on a snorkelling trip with Blue Marlin who mainly do SCUBA diving but they take some snorkellers along too. We got taken from our resort in a car to Bangsai and got one of their boats from there. Most of the people on the boat were learning to dive but a few of us snorkelled and one of the guys from the boat came in with us and pointed out things like turtles and clown fish (all the 'must sees' of a snorkel trip!). None of us had ever seen turtles in the wild before so that was a real bonus.

We stopped on Gili Trawangan and had an hour or so to look around and have lunch somewhere. The Dive company were quite relaxed about what you did and a couple of people didn't enjoy the snorkelling (it was their first time) so they asked if they could stay on the island and have a look around instead of coming on the afternoon trip, which they did and we picked them up on the way back to Lombok.

The whole thing was only US$20 each so it was a real budget trip compared to some of these all day boat trips, but lunch and drinks weren't included so you'd need to take some water and some cash for lunch, but that worked well for us as there was lots of choice on the island and we weren't restricted to going to the same place as everyone else.

Unfortunately I haven't got any photos of the day as, like a plonker, I forgot to charge my camera battery!

Address: Blue Marlin Dive company
Directions: They had a shop in the Holiday Resort and I think they have a few in other hotels around Sengigi and the Gilis.
Website: http://www.bluemarlindive.com/home.html

• Updated Apr 12, 2009

“If you can carry the kitchen sink, why not pack it!”

Have you been to Lombok?