Givral Cafe: "Old style pastries in HCMC" Givral Tip by iclee

Creme filled buns

Creme filled buns
      pastry counter
  • Old style pastries in HCMC - Ho Chi Minh City

Givral offers meals, cakes, pastries plus a wonderful spot for people watching. You'll find the historic Hotel Continental Saigon, Opera House and a stone's throw away from most of the 5star hotels in D1.

After reading the feedback for good pastries in HCMC, I was expecting a lot from Givral. Sadly, their selection of pastries was more bread than flaky pastry. I bought four creme filled buns, custard buns (VND29,000 or PHP85 each; U$1 = VND17,700), to stave off midnight hunger pangs. The cakes reminded me of the time butter cream was the rage in bakeshops in my country 10 years ago. Nowadays, everything is all about fondant cakes or ganache in my place. After paying PHP85 for a piece of bread, my mind is suddenly craving the PHP85 per piece Belgian Chocolate Ensaymada of Bizu in Manila.

I went there twice and found the door open. I decided to close it because the aircon was more warm than cool. Without explanation, they opened the door again. So next time, I suggest summer clothing but the downside is they do not have a separate smoking section so second hand smoke is trapped within the shop. Naturally, there were flies because of open door.

I wish they will graduate to become a proper French Patisserie. :)

Favorite Dish: Strawberry banana smoothie is fresh and not too sweet.

Address: 169 Dong Khoi St.
Price Comparison: least expensive
Directions: Across Hotel Continental Saigon and adjacent to the Opera House.
Phone: +84 8 3822 8659
Price: less than US$10
Rating: 3
Theme: Coffeehouse
Website: http://www.saigongivral.com

• Updated Apr 4, 2011

Comments

Have you been to Ho Chi Minh City?