"Pack Lightly" Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Packing List Tip by von.otter

Rome What to Pack: 128 reviews and 59 photos

von.otter reunited with his bag, Roma, 05/07
by von.otter

Miscellaneous: What to pack?

I do not pack lightly. Therefore I may not be the best traveler to ask because it appears as if I bring everything I own!

The following is only speculation. I think because I travel with too much, this may explain why my bag did not arrive in Rome at the same time I did. Because my bag was heavy, it was left behind until a plane with a lighter cargo load departed for Italy.

There was a long line at the Alitalia lost baggage complaint desk. The process for filing a complaint was simple. It was 36 hours later when I was reunited with my clothes and other belongs.

With that in mind, it is a good idea to pack extra personal items in your carry-on bag. Some travelers take only a carry-on bag. If this works for you, it may be best. I could not feel comfortable with such a limited selection of clothes.

I would always recommend packing comfortable shoes. Wherever you travel, overseas or domestically, the best way to see any city is on foot. In Rome, especially Centro Storico (the historical center of an Italian city), the street pavement is made up of granite brick (always mistaken for cobble stone). The streets and sidewalks are uneven and can be rough on the feet, ankles and legs.

• Updated Jul 23, 2012

Comments

von.otter

“Enjoy the Journey”