"Oia Sunset" Oia Things to Do Tip by J_Antunes

Oia Things to Do: 52 reviews and 80 photos

Oia is a little jewel incrustrated in the north part of Santorini Island. Its white houses, narrow and winding streets and the sea below makes you remember how amazing this island must have looked like before the hords of tourists, mesmerized by postcards, movies and TV spots arrived.

Anyway, I went to Oia to see what was supposed to be the best sunset of the world. Since we had pretty much digged the entire island we got there quite before the beggining of the show. Gave our stomachs the desired nurishment and to our bodies some rest. Hours passed and the place got pretty crowded, thousands and thousands of people were perched in the tiny streets of the village waiting the magical moment. My eyes couldn't believe what I saw. In my country the sun sets everyday in the ocean. Could these be people of countries where the sun never shines? Well, the sun set, and it was beautiful, yes it was. Have nothing to complain about it. Everyone started clapping their hands and I did the same, why not, and then we all follow through the packed streets of Oia trying to find an exit.

It was beautiful but it is also a master class of Marketing. I'm sure the sun set in similar ways in many other places of the island and the world. And wouldn't it be better to be in a quiet place just holding someone you like and watching the sunset, even if not the best in the world, and not be in the middle of thousands of people??? Anyway I'm being mean, I went there in August I'm sure in other months, with less tourists it might be much better.

Well, anyway been there done that and my tourist passport of "must do things" has another stamp.

Directions: North part of the island

• Written Apr 5, 2009