"United States Holocaust Memorial Museum" Top 5 Page for this destination Holocaust Museum Tip by Ewingjr98
Holocaust Museum, Washington D.C.: 41 reviews and 48 photos
I never heard of the US Holocaust, so I was a bit confused about this museum that memorializes the US Holocaust. Turns out this museum in the US is about the German holocaust. Does Germany have a museum dedicated to American slavery? Maybe they could call it the German Slavery Museum. Have you ever visited the US Slavery Museum or the American Indian Atrocities Museum on the National Mall in DC? Funny how we focus so much attention on other nations' tragic histories while ignoring our own.
Anyway, this great museum is located along the National Mall near the Washington Monument and the Tidal Basin. It opened in 1993, and I visited about a year later.
The museum's main feature is the Permanent Exhibition that has chronological displays of the history of the holocaust in Europe under Nazi Germany. This area also includes the "Tower of Faces," which shows daily life in a Lithuanian town before the residents were executed. The last big element of the museum is the memorial Hall of Rememberance
Address: 100 Raoul Wallenberg Place, SW
Directions: Metro Stop: Smithsonian The museum is 1 block from the station. Between Raoul Wallenberg Place and 14th Street SW
Phone: (202) 488-0400
More Things to Do in Washington D.C. (64)
More Reviews (181)
- See All Firkin and Fox Pub - Dulles Airport
- See All Gordon Biersch - National Airport
- See All National Treasury Building
- See All Take the Free US Capitol Building Tour
- See All The Ritz-Carlton, Washington, DC - West...
- See All Metro? Walking? Buses? Driving?
- See All Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium (RFK...
- Vendors on the Mall
- See All Spring in DC: Smithsonian Kite Festival
- See All The Shops at Georgetown Park
- See All Crime in DC
Been to Washington D.C.?Share your travels with the world!
Ewingjr98's Related Pages
Have you been to Washington D.C.?Share Your Travels