"A tower, for witches only .-)" Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Things to Do Tip by Trekki
Marburg an der Lahn Things to Do: 92 reviews and 311 photos
On the northern partof the castle ground, where the secret path along Renthof and Hainweg arrives, is a little round house which is called Hexenturm (witches tower). It was part of the fortification but mid 16th century it became too small and was used as jail instead until end of 19th century. That’s where the name comes from, because witches were often thrown into jail (by macho men of course who could not tolerate women being more intelligent than them, so not much has changed until now, lol). Today one of the castle guards lives here, what a cute place with a glorious view to live! It is also here where the excavations are still ongoing, but they cannot be visited, only looked at from above.
Directions: Look for bus no 16 “Schloß” or walk up according to one of the walks described in my previous two tips.
More Things to Do in Marburg an der Lahn (28)
More Reviews (61)
- See All Utmost culinary delights and lovely...
- Anyone for a relaxing boat tour on Lahn?
- Comfortable shoes are a life saver!
- See All More half-timbered houses in Steinweg
- No parking inside the old town!
- See All Blue plaques guide through Marburg
- See All Beautiful home decoration
- See All Elevators facilitate the steep ascents
- See All Schweinsberg, castle on a hilltop :-)
Been to Marburg an der Lahn?Share your travels with the world!
Trekki's Related Pages
Have you been to Marburg an der Lahn?Share Your Travels