"Shop with the locals" India Shopping Tip by Marthamaire

India Shopping: 79 reviews and 78 photos

I have been to India twice and bought native dress on both occasions. The first time was a big mistake. The guide took us to a shop where measurements were taken, we selected the fabric, and we were told our outfit would be delivered the next day at our hotel after 5pm. None of the clothes came as promised. Instead, as we were boarding the bus the following morning, of the following day, a man from the shop drove up and handed out sealed packages to those of us who had ordered. When I got to my hotel room in the next town, I found the pants to the outfit did not fit properly and a cheaper material had been substituted. The following year, I was a smarter traveler. On a day when we had a free afternoon, I left the hotel and started walking. I watched Indian women walk by with their purchases and I backtracked, based on the logo on the shopping bags. I ended up in a dress shop patronized by locals. For less than a third of what I had paid the previous year, I bought a lovely, high quality outfit that was tailored on the spot.

Theme: Women's Clothes

• Written Mar 30, 2009

“The world is a book and those who do not travel, read only a page”

Have you been to India?