"Two Month South America Tour" South America Favorite Tip by alohagunnar

South America General: 81 reviews and 78 photos

Favorite thing: A Two Month Triangle In South America By Bus(no flights)

L i m a
Santiago - Buenos Aires

Just to give you a ballpark idea of how much of South America you can cover by bus in two months, I started in Lima, Peru and headed south to Santiago, Chile and then east to Punte Del Este, Uruguay before heading north back to Lima, Peru via Paraguay and Bolivia. I visited most of the major sites along this triangle including(Machu Pichu, Cusco, Arrica, Iquque, Atacama, Mendoza, Buenos Aires, Montevideo, Salta, Posadas, Encarnacion, Asuncion, Tupiza, Potosi, La Paz, Puno, Aeroquipa, Nazca, Ica)

I only took the overnight bus twice across long stretches of uninteresting terrain in Argentina but preferrred to travel 4 to 6 hour trips during the day to view the scenery.

I found it took me a day to fully recover from an all night bus ride.

For entertainment on long bus rides such I downloaded lots of really interesting BBC Podcasts and played games on my laptop and watched DVD movies(you should bring an extra battery)

Almost all of the buses are doubledeckers and I found that the first row of seats on top was the best since it gives you a splendid panoramic view but are hard to get unless you reserve your seat at least a day in advance.

There are always opportunities to buy food and drinks from vendors who board the bus every now and then though your choice will be limited to a few items.

The entire trip cost me US$3,000 (US$50/day) including rountrip airfare (New York - Lima US$350 through Expedia.com)

Review Helpfulness: 2 out of 5 stars

• Updated Mar 30, 2009

Comments

alohagunnar

“Just Go.”

Have you been to South America?