Taberna Coloniales: "One of Sevilla's best bars!" Sevilla Restaurant Tip by Bwana_Brown

Sevilla Restaurants: 222 reviews and 231 photos

Taberna Coloniales on the corner in the plaza

Taberna Coloniales on the corner in the plaza
    by Bwana_Brown
      A closer view of the outdoor seating area
    by Bwana_Brown
      We managed to squeeze in at the tapas bar!
    by Bwana_Brown

It so happened that where I parked our rental car in a public parking garage was directly across the street from Plaza Cristo De Burgos. This is where one of Sevilla's most popular tapas bars is located - the Taberna Coloniales. I noticed it on my the short walk through the plaza as I made my way on foot back to our Hostel Atenas, which was located only a few minutes away.

With our stop to admire both Antequera and El Torcal Nature Park earlier in the day while driving over from Granada, by then it was about 3 PM on a Sunday afternoon, so I fetched the ladies from the hostel and we all returned to this outside seating area. Sue and I had glasses of wine as we wound down a bit from our drive and just enjoyed the busy atmosphere of this old tavern - we had successfully made it to Sevilla! However, we soon had to leave as the tavern began to close-up for a few hours in the lead-up to the evening's tapas sessions. We came back that evening for a meal but it was already so busy that we could not get in! We fixed that the next night when we arrived at about 9 PM and, after waiting a bit with the crowd inside the tavern, gradually secured ourselves some room at the bar as other patrons finished their meals.

Favorite Dish: The Tabernas Coloniales is quite cozy inside on a cool winter night with the hubbub of noise from its patrons crowding the bar area. Even while we were waiting for a spot or two to open up, the bartender looked after our drinks of wine and beer quite well and we struck up conversations with some of the people at the bar. As they left, they motioned for us to take their place so we finally bellied up to place our order of two good-sized tapas dishes (3rd photo). I really enjoyed the one consisting of cured pork, onions and fried potatoes! It was a really fun night out, but it was late for us because we had to be on the road for Cadiz in the morning. I could not believe that the entire bill (including 3 glasses of wine, a beer, mineral water, two tapas and a plate of olives) only came to 12 Euros! It was one of our favourite experiences in Sevilla and this restaurant consistently gets great reviews.

Address: Plaza Cristo De Burgos 19, 41003 Sevilla, Spain
Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: Not far from Casa de Pilatos in the north central part of Santa Cruz district - at Plaza Cristo de Burgos
Phone: 954 501 137
Price: less than US$10
Rating: 5
Theme: Local

• Updated Jul 9, 2009

Comments

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Have you been to Sevilla?