"Biking around Lisbon" Lisbon Transportation Tip by trissss

Lisbon Transportation: 530 reviews and 681 photos

on the hillsides around Sintra
      on the hillsides around Sintra
    by trissss
      brand new skatepark in lisbon!
      under the bridge around expo'98
    by trissss
      teaser from a splendid panorama..
    by trissss
      alone on praia da adraga
    by trissss

I'm a daily bike user in Brussels and I wanted to take my brompton bike with me, but I heard that the city was bike-unfriendly.. and took the decision to leave my bike home. Therefore, I expected Lisbon to be a bikeless city, but what a surprise : many bikes, a mostly bikeable landscape, and plenty of small roads asking for more ;) I found a superfriendly bicycle rental service in the center (bikeiberia, you rocked), and from there, things got real !

In my first day, I went to the east of Belem, back to the Expo'98 site, and back to the old town hills, all that while losing myself in the most hidden paths and roads. On my second day, I went by train to Sintra (only 1.7? + free bike transport during the week!) and cycled to an almost empty Atlantic beach (Praia da Adraga) for a memorable swim.. and then biked south along the incredible views of the coast ... more than 100km in two days then, so much for an unbikable city !

- Don't believe the myth that Lisbon is unbikable. If you ever face a hill, there is a fresh slope behind, and it's much more of a refreshing rollercoaster...
- You'll appreciate a sturdy mountain bike with many gears to enjoy Lisbon's topography. A front suspension is also a good choice if you chose to ride in the many paved roads of the old town.
- Because of the paved roads, I don't think that the old town of Lisbon is very 'brompton-able', but there are often alternative roads to take... so you might want to try it (I've heard that such an added luggage on a low-cost european flight costs 20?). Getting your own mountain bike there might cost you >60?.
- The people at bikeiberia (very friendly bike rental service in Baixa) really saved my trip ! I had a bike in minutes, and their advices lead me to the most unexpected places ... I hadn't the opportunity to enjoy a guided tour of the 'Serra de Sintra', but it'll be for next time ;)
- Drink a lot of water ! and don't forget sunscreen of course..

Have a nice ride !