"A tribute to Jane" Top 5 Page for this destination Jane Austen Museum Tip by toonsarah

Jane Austen Museum, Bath: 11 reviews and 10 photos

The Jane Austen Centre
by toonsarah

The Jane Austen Centre was established to pay tribute to arguably Bath?s most famous resident. It offers a snapshot of life during Regency times and explores how living in this magnificent city affected Jane Austen?s life and writing. As an avid ?Jane-ite? as her fans are sometimes known, I put this attraction high on my to do list for my limited time in the city, especially as it is new since my last visit there.

I had some fears prior to my visit that the centre might romanticise Jane?s time in Bath. A country girl at heart, and impatient of the foibles that distinguished the polite society of her day, she was never really happy during her period living in the city, although she had enjoyed visits there when younger. Luckily, my fears were unfounded, and the introductory 15 minute film gave a really balanced view of her experiences in the city and the ways in which it had influenced her writing.

Apart from the film there is perhaps not a huge amount to be seen here, but what there is, is nicely exhibited and interestingly annotated. Displays include a beautiful restored silk dress of the period and other costumes, fans (and information on the meanings attributed to different poses with them), some typical pieces of furniture, shopping in Regency Bath, and a (very) small town garden.

There is a good gift shop with an excellent selection of books in particular (I was tempted but resisted as I didn?t want to have to carry too much, but will be returning online!) and upstairs a Regency Tea Room which I didn?t visit.

Admission costs a slightly pricey (in my view) 6.50 for adults, but I was offered a 10% discount as I had arrived too late for the last tour of the day. For children 6-16 admission is 3.50 and for seniors and students 4.95. You can also get a family ticket for 18 (two adults and up to four children); however I wouldn?t see this as a top attraction for younger children as the space is quite cramped for lively youngsters and the exhibits unlikely to hold their attention for long. The Centre is open every day in winter months 11.00 AM - 4.30 PM (Saturdays 9.45 AM to 5.30 PM) and in the summer 9.45 AM - 5.30 PM daily, with extended opening in July and August to 7.00 PM Thursday to Saturday.

Address: 40 Gay Street, Bath. BA1 2NT
Directions: Jane Austen actually lived in Gay Street (higher up the hill on the same side, at No.25) for some months in 1805.
Phone: %s3 %cb 01225 443000
Website: http://www.janeausten.co.uk/

• Written Mar 15, 2009

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust (Joni Mitchell, "Amelia")”

Have you been to Bath?