"the infamous taxi scam" Rio de Janeiro Warnings Or Dangers Tip by georgt

Rio de Janeiro Warnings and Dangers: 222 reviews and 107 photos

Somebody wrote about this scam on this section before, I am only to confirm that it is sadly true, as it just occured to me on my way to the airport by a taxi driver who I hired at the "Rodoviaria" station in Rio de Janeiro, fortunately I was not too much hurt inside because I was about to leave the country anyway however he cheated me for the last 50 real bill I had. The swindle went this way: after I had paid him the taxi fare of 40 reals with one of the 50 real bills I had in my wallet, he took the money from my hand viciously and pulled back with the speed of a snake, then he returned to me showing to me a 5 real note saying that it was what I had given to him, (be aware that the fast action is essential to play this trick) in the moment I thought that it was possible as I have had mistaken before few times on handling the money, this time I didnt really care so much because as I said I was a traveller at the end of his journey who didnt want to export reals with him abroad, however I realized later what happened and I remembered of the tip I read on the warning and dangers of Rio (written by a VT member "lovinoz" on February 25, 2007), and I knew it, when I wanted to buy a book, sure to have still enough money, as I had changed one large euro bill just before I got into the taxi, if two plus two is four, I should had the cash in my wallet, but I found my self short of 50 real, that was exactly what that sucker cheated me.

• Updated Mar 10, 2009

georgt's Related Pages

“keep on tracking”

Ranked Member

Have you been to Rio de Janeiro?