"Curious location but great value and comfort" Best Western Sheldon Park Hotel Tip by shortysboy

Best Western Sheldon Park Hotel, Dublin: 1,099 reviews and 0 photos

Just got back, had a great visit, too short. I ended up at the Best Western Sheldon Park just off the Klyemore Road stop on the LUAS Red Line. All suggestions and help were appreciated. The city was incredibly busy with the big rugby game and The Snow Patrol was also playing that night in town. Thanks to all who offered help.

The hotel is a little hard to spot when you get off the LUAS. Here's the trick (and I hate to type this), walk towards the McDonalds- North of the tracks and opposite the Mercedes dealership (which might be out of business soon if the economy doesn't turn around). The McDonalds is impossible to miss and the hotel is just a half block farther on the opposite side of the street.

The neighborhood doesn't appear dodgy but there appears to be little to do nearby, given that we were walking. The hotel has an arrangement with a swimming complex next door- we didn't use it. There are two gas stations and one was open early with lots of convenient store offerings.

The staff, food and service were great. The prices were a fraction of Dublin Center- this hotel is in Dublin 12.

It was the first night in from the States and I woke up at midnight to the sound of music throbbing in my room, 2nd floor. At first I was a little frustrated but when my head settled, it was clear that I was missing a chance to join some locals, which I quickly did. The bar was packed with a combination of elderly folks from the neighborhood and a younger crowd that had come in the countryside to see the rugby match or Snow Patrol concert. I pretty much laid low and took in the scene, it was fun to see this odd collection of folks, far the standard tourist crowd and they were having fun.

The next morning it was back on LUAS to the Heuston Station for a train to the West. This hotel was perfect for my needs and budget.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone that doesn't mind a short walk- 2 minutes is correct- from the LUAS stop. There were no little kids there that I saw but I would think young families would enjoy this as well as others. It's probably not the most romantic spot but I must say the wood work and attention to detail on design makes this place really step out from it's surroundings- which are basically suburban.

Unique Qualities: The have an arrangement with a pool complex next door- I didn't use this option but they indicated it was a popular one.

Live music on the night we were there and good food.

Address: Kylemore Road, Dublin, Ireland, 12, IE
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: You might struggle to see it when you exit the LUAS. Don't be worried- head North- towards the McDonalds and it will be easy to spot on the opposite side of the street.
Phone: 353-1-4601055
Price: US$40-80
Theme: Hotel

• Written Mar 5, 2009

“work takes me places-passion brings me back”

Ranked Member